The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Dictatorial presiding officer/president

Guest libglib13

Are there any provisions for making all actions at a meeting null and void if the presiding officer severely deviated from RONR? The whole meeting basically broke the rules except nominating officers and the order of the day. I could not suspend the rules to remove the president/presiding officer from being the latter during a topic he was involved with, could not read a resolution, and could not appeal the ruling of the presiding officer because he would not allow seconds or votes. We had the numbers to pass everything. I am appealing through the union's by-laws to the executive board, which the president also chairs (nice, I know), but can go to the national union after that on appeal. Thanks.

Are there any provisions for making all actions at a meeting null and void if the presiding officer severely deviated from RONR?

There are but . . .

Most points of order (claims that a rule has been violated) must be made in a timely manner (i.e. when the alleged infraction occurs). A few violations are so serious that they constitute a "continuing breach" of the rules and, for these, there is no time limit. But procedural irregularities do not, generally, constitute a continuing breach.

A number of points of order were made on the topics I've described, but all were turned down, too. We had a number of people read up on RONR going into the meeting about what could happen there, but we have not had enough time to figure out the next step outside the exec board appeals. Thanks.

A number of points of order were made on the topics I've described, but all were turned down, too.

The chair's rulings (on points of order) can be appealed. In the end, it's the assembly (the members present) that decides who's "right".

See FAQ #20 if you think it's time to replace your dictatorial president.

A number of points of order were made on the topics I've described, but all were turned down, too. We had a number of people read up on RONR going into the meeting about what could happen there, but we have not had enough time to figure out the next step outside the exec board appeals. Thanks.

A member could have put an appeal from the floor (see p. 642).

I believe the OP indicated that the members did try to Appeal From the Decision of the Chair, but the chair would not recognize seconds to that motion nor put the question on it.

At that point, if the Chair refuses to do his job, one option is for a member to put the question on the appeal from his place.

I believe the OP indicated that the members did try to Appeal From the Decision of the Chair, but the chair would not recognize seconds to that motion nor put the question on it.

At that point, if the Chair refuses to do his job, one option is for a member to put the question on the appeal from his place.

I did only a point of order for the special order, though I know I could have appealed that. The main point of the presentation was the resolution, so I wanted to make sure to get through that. I guess I was "lucky" enough to be called by the presiding officer twice in a row, though I couldn't get through the resolution anyway. There was definitely an appeal I made for the motion for the resolution, and points of order and appeals from several people for denying the original appeal, and Gary is correct on how that went down. We did not try the appeal from his place though. Thanks.

Archived