The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Members

kbretz

I was nominated, elected and sworn in as a Board Member on an Athletic BC @ a Public School along with 5 other members. There was NO distinction between a Board / Executive Board at the time of Induction. This BC is in its 3rd year and to date is not 501© 3 exempt and, while Bylaws have been drafted, there is no signed copy or notation in any BC Meeting that the Bylaws were approved and adopted. I have repeatedly asked for monthly Board Meetings (this is my 5th Board to serve) and was denied. I was recently notified that the "Executive Board" has been meeting occasionally and since my Specific Committee responsibilities were not discussed (they were discussing the ByLaws) I was not "invited" to the Board Meetings. The "Executive Board" has now amended the Bylaws to distinguish an Executive Board - which excludes two of the six Board Members, one being myself. When I pointed out that a motion was made to the BC to accept me as a Board Member - the same as the other 5 - I was notified by the Executive board my position is an appointed position not an Executive Board position. (1) Do I have the right to demand proof that the Bylaws were ever approved (they keep insisting that they were previously approved and we are now only approving amendments) and (2) has anyone seen this type of separation of board

I was nominated, elected and sworn in as a Board Member on an Athletic BC @ a Public School along with 5 other members.

There was NO distinction between a Board / Executive Board at the time of Induction.

This BC is in its 3rd year and to date is not 501© 3 exempt

and, while Bylaws have been drafted, there is no signed copy or notation in any BC Meeting that the Bylaws were approved and adopted.

I have repeatedly asked for monthly Board Meetings (this is my 5th Board to serve) and was denied.

I was recently notified that the "Executive Board" has been meeting occasionally and since my Specific Committee responsibilities were not discussed (they were discussing the ByLaws) I was not "invited" to the Board Meetings.

The "Executive Board" has now amended the Bylaws to distinguish an Executive Board - which excludes two of the six Board Members, one being myself.

When I pointed out that a motion was made to the BC to accept me as a Board Member - the same as the other 5 - I was notified by the Executive board my position is an appointed position not an Executive Board position.

(1) Do I have the right to demand proof that the Bylaws were ever approved (they keep insisting that they were previously approved and we are now only approving amendments) and

(2) has anyone seen this type of separation of board?

1. No.

2. No.

You seem to be laboring under the working assumption that, as an individual, you can demand certain things. While this is true for a limited number of things, the vast majority of "demands" must be via a majority vote of the proper body. And you've got no one making motions and adopting motions to make your demands official.

1. No.

2. No.

You seem to be laboring under the working assumption that, as an individual, you can demand certain things. While this is true for a limited number of things, the vast majority of "demands" must be via a majority vote of the proper body. And you've got no one making motions and adopting motions to make your demands official.

Sorry - when the "Amended" Bylaws were presented to the BC for approval I made a motion that the originally approved Bylaws be provided to the BC so we would know what modifications were being made and the motion was seconded. The BC was then told by the President that the Bylaws were approved two years ago but there is not documentation or notation in any minutes to confirm this and the BC Body would "have to take her word for it". After several objections we were told that the original bylaws would be emailed to the BC - we have not seen these to date. We have a scheduled "emergency" meeting on Monday to approve the "Amended" Bylaws with the segregation of the Board and other ridiculous modifications.

The BC was then told by the President that the Bylaws were approved two years ago but there is not documentation or notation in any minutes to confirm this and the BC Body would "have to take her word for it".

Assuming you are a member of the BC (Booster Club?) you have a right to view the (approved) minutes of meetings of the BC, and it's in those minutes where you'll find the bylaws. If there are no minutes then there is no official record of the bylaws (though there may still be bylaws). So ask the secretary to show you the minutes. It's your right, as a member, to see them (at the secretary's convenience). If she refuses, see FAQ #20 and get yourselves a new secretary.

The same goes for the board.

Archived