The Official RONR Q & A Forums

lawyer at board meetings

Guest ginny lyons

The board holds monthly meetings and the lawyer is always present, so every time you ask a board member a question the lawyer is asked his opinion or he interjects with an answer. When the lawyer is there for legal what is considered legal issues and why is he always answering for the board? It seems the board waits for him and then they pick and choose whether they want to take his opinion.Is this fair for the members of the community?

The board holds monthly meetings and the lawyer is always present, so every time you ask a board member a question the lawyer is asked his opinion or he interjects with an answer. When the lawyer is there for legal what is considered legal issues and why is he always answering for the board? It seems the board waits for him and then they pick and choose whether they want to take his opinion.Is this fair for the members of the community?

No, it's not fair for two reasons. First, he's not a member of the board, and his opinions, on other than legal matters should be of no interest to anyone.

Second, the public (presuming you're a public body) is indirectly paying his salary with their tax dollars, and he's racking up billable hours. There's no reason a lawyer is needed at every board meeting, unless you count enriching the law firm as a reason. Save yourself a fortune and tell him you'll call him if and when you need him.

No, it's not fair for two reasons. First, he's not a member of the board, and his opinions, on other than legal matters should be of no interest to anyone.

Second, the public (presuming you're a public body) is indirectly paying his salary with their tax dollars, and he's racking up billable hours. There's no reason a lawyer is needed at every board meeting, unless you count enriching the law firm as a reason. Save yourself a fortune and tell him you'll call him if and when you need him.

what are considered in the boards eyes LEGAL ISSUES and what should he only be talking about. This board thinks every issue is a legal issue

What kind of a board is this, and what is your relationship with this board?

Perhaps you should ask a board member why the board meetings operate this way. I presume (ask board members) that the lawyer is there because the board requests (and I am sure pays a pretty penny for) the lawyer's attendance and participation.

Well, it seems I was wrong about your lawyer in the other thread. :)

When the lawyer is there for legal what is considered legal issues

Legal issues involve the interpretation of the law.

and why is he always answering for the board?

I don't know. Apparently your board is confused about what a lawyer does.

What kind of a board is this, and what is your relationship with this board?

Perhaps you should ask a board member why the board meetings operate this way. I presume (ask board members) that the lawyer is there because the board requests (and I am sure pays a pretty penny for) the lawyer's attendance and participation.

community board and i am a paid dues member.when we ask why to the board they say they need him there for legal issues and then when it comes his turn for legal he has nothing sometimes, but the board uses him to stop members from asking questions or trying to get answers

community board and i am a paid dues member.when we ask why to the board they say they need him there for legal issues and then when it comes his turn for legal he has nothing sometimes, but the board uses him to stop members from asking questions or trying to get answers

A board who lets their lawyer answer for them is a board asking to be replaced.

Not one of Mr. Novosielski's finer moments, I'm afraid. :(

Sorry, Dan, I'm always open to reconsideration, but really, if this is, as it seems to be, a publicly elected body--town council, school board, etc.--then the public should have an expectation of getting answers from the actual elected officials. Public comment/question sessions where that expectation is dimmed are unfortunate and too common, in my view.

When the decision makers filter or hide their views behind the screen of an attorney, or other hired intermediary, and don't respond candidly, I tend to take offense.

Maybe I'm too close to this issue, but I've seen it done too often in too many public bodies, and I've done what I can to minimize it in those where I have direct involvement. Yes, board attorneys can be valuable, and there are times when responses must be tempered for legal reasons, but if someone votes me into office (or even votes against me), and then asks a straight question, I think they deserve a straight answer. I've served on a local school board for a dozen years, and we relieved our attorney of the responsibility of regularly attending meetings soon after my election, and were never sorry. He still performs many valuable services for the board, and on occasion in special situations has been asked to attend a meeting, but not routinely.

One of the reasons I first ran for that office was the inability to get a straight answer out of the board, due in large part to the interference of the attorney, for which I only partly blame the attorney.

However, in the hope of finer moments yet to come, I remain,

Sorry, Dan, I'm always open to reconsideration, but really, if this is, as it seems to be, a publicly elected body--town council, school board, etc.--then the public should have an expectation of getting answers from the actual elected officials. Public comment/question sessions where that expectation is dimmed are unfortunate and too common, in my view.

Since the poster said that she was a "paid dues member," I am in doubt as to whether this is a public body. And in any event, this entire thread has nothing to do with RONR (I am at fault here as well).

I think I'll just point the poster to FAQ #20 in case the assembly does decide disciplinary action is warranted, in an attempt to salvage this thread. :)

Since the poster said that she was a "paid dues member," I am in doubt as to whether this is a public body. And in any event, this entire thread has nothing to do with RONR (I am at fault here as well).

I think I'll just point the poster to FAQ #20 in case the assembly does decide disciplinary action is warranted, in an attempt to salvage this thread. :)

Agreed.

Sorry for any contribution to the confusion.

And I ask unanimous consent to suspend the rules that would interfere with wishing everyone here a most enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday.

it is a community board

Archived