The Official RONR Q & A Forums

lawyer taking minutes

Guest ginny lyons

if the secretary and treasurer were both excused from meeting and there were 7 other board members present ,why was the lawyer taking minutes for the meeting.This is a community association monthly meeting. is this ok or should a member of the board have done this.

if the secretary and treasurer were both excused from meeting and there were 7 other board members present ,why was the lawyer taking minutes for the meeting.This is a community association monthly meeting. is this ok or should a member of the board have done this.

Ask a member of the board. It was the board, apparently, that made this choice.

Do you mean they were granted permission not to attend, or they were forced to leave the room?

How did the lawyer come to be secretary-for-a-day? Was he appointed by the chair? Was a vote taken to elect a secretary pro tem and he was elected? Did he volunteer and no one else wanted to do it? Since from your other post we know he always attends, does he perhaps take notes anyway, and the chair figured what the heck let him do it?

Ginny, come back!! :huh:

sorry , i did not want to interrupt your fun. no one else was asked to take minutes and it was announced at meeting the lawyer will be taking the minutes.no other board member asked why because this is the action the Pres. takes. it may seem intimidating to some and i think that is why it is done.

sorry , i did not want to interrupt your fun. no one else was asked to take minutes and it was announced at meeting the lawyer will be taking the minutes.no other board member asked why because this is the action the Pres. takes. it may seem intimidating to some and i think that is why it is done.

Or perhaps they didn't ask why because they were perfectly satisfied for him to do so.

It does sound like it could have been an intimidation technique. The president does not have the authority to appoint a secretary pro tem without the permission of the assembly.

Archived