The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Missing Meeting Minutes

twfraz

I am just full of questions.:) What can be done if the meeting minutes come up missing (I know this has its own issues) and someone says something happened during that meeting, i.e. changes to a operating policy. Can the actions taken, motions voted on at that meeting, be disputed that it even happened without a record? There is no other record that it happened other than what would be in the minutes.

What can be done if the meeting minutes come up missing (I know this has its own issues) and someone says something happened during that meeting, i.e. changes to a operating policy.

If you have lost minutes, then you ought to re-create the minutes.

Create a committee, and instruct the committe to draft a set of minutes, as best they can. Then, have the committee present its final draft, and, with amendments, perfect the draft set of minutes. Then adopt the draft set of minutes.

Can the actions taken, motions voted on at that meeting, be disputed that it even happened without a record?

Anyone can dispute anything.

Without minutes, there is no written record, and without a written record, the only "proof' left is (a.) memory; (b.) oral testimony.

Thus the need for a written record, which is VOTED ON and thus OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED as the written record of the organization.

"A short pencil is better than a long memory."

— wise old saying

Archived