The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Past President Term of Office

Guest Pat

What is the term of office for a past president when the President is elected for a two-year term?

As far as RONR is concerned, the past president(s) play no official (i.e. ex-officio) role. If you've defined such a role for your (immediate) past president, you'll have to work out the details.

But if the current president is re-elected, then the (immediate) past president remains the (immediate) past president. Unless you want to argue that a re-elected president is the current and past president at the same time. If you do, you wouldn't be the first.

As far as RONR is concerned, the past president(s) play no official (i.e. ex-officio) role. If you've defined such a role for your (immediate) past president, you'll have to work out the details.

But if the current president is re-elected, then the (immediate) past president remains the (immediate) past president. Unless you want to argue that a re-elected president is the current and past president at the same time. If you do, you wouldn't be the first.

Thank you for your very speedy response. We will work out the details...

Unless you want to argue that a re-elected president is the current and past president at the same time. If you do, you wouldn't be the first.

There is reference in The Book (without which I unfortunately walked out of the house this morning.. I know, I know) regarding the change in board members at elections, and I think referencing business falling to the ground, where it says something to the effect that it is as if a "new" board (in its entirety, as it were) would be then in place. In a sense, this implies a re-elected president is also the immediate past-president, and I did say implies.

As for Pat's question about the term of office for past president, I'd think it would be for life. Unless of course she did in fact mean "immediate" PP. smile.gif

What is the term of office for a past president when the President is elected for a two-year term?

There is no default office of Past President or Immediate Past President outlined in RONR. Your bylaws would have to create the office and lay out any term of office for it. (A term of one year is not uncommon, but it would have to say so in the bylaws.)

If it doesn't, then you're on your own. Strictly by the dictionary definition, the person who was president immediately before the current president became president would be entitled to the office.

And unless your bylaws provide otherwise, that would be true even if he was removed as president under cloud of skulduggery, jiggery-pokery with malice aforethought, or even aggravated mopery with intent to gawk.

There is reference in The Book (without which I unfortunately walked out of the house this morning.. I know, I know) regarding the change in board members at elections, and I think referencing business falling to the ground, where it says something to the effect that it is as if a "new" board (in its entirety, as it were) would be then in place. In a sense, this implies a re-elected president is also the immediate past-president, and I did say implies.

I don't see how the rule you are referring to has any bearing on this question.

Archived