The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Treasurer's Report

Guest confused

When a treasurer is called upon for a report and they say "i really dont have a report but the amount on hand is around $4,000." The president asked for acceptance as read. is this correct?

i thought that a treasurer's report does not get accepted. please set me straight.

When a treasurer is called upon for a report and they say "i really dont have a report but the amount on hand is around $4,000." The president asked for acceptance as read. is this correct?

i thought that a treasurer's report does not get accepted. please set me straight.

No action should be taken on the report. It isn't accepted, approved, or admitted. The report is simply given and, if it's on paper, filed. The annual treasurer's report should be audited and it's the auditor's report that is approved.

You already have it right. It's the president who needs to be "set straight." A treasurer's report can consist of merely a verbal statement of the cash balance, and it requires no action by the assembly. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 459, l. 26-30.

I concur with the previous responses, and would add that it is highly unwise to accept an unaudited Treasurer's Report. To do so implies that the assembly has accepted the figures as accurate, which would be problematic if it turns out they aren't. I would be especially hesitant to accept a report as vague as "the amount on hand is around $4,000." :)

Archived