The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's rights as policy leader

Guest Irik

I am the President of an executive board and our bylaws specifically state that the president is the policy leader. I take this to mean that I get the final say whether or not policies and decisions are approved and that a vote by executive board does not necessarily pass or reject a proposed policy or decision. Is my interpretation accurate? If not, can I get clarification on what it means to be the policy leader according to Robert's Rules?

can I get clarification on what it means to be the policy leader according to Robert's Rules?

RONR does not say that the president (or anyone else) is the policy leader. The president's fundamental parliamentary role is to preside at meetings. He has more responsibility than authority. And, like any other member, he has just one vote.

If your rules give the president more authority than that, you'll have to figure out what they mean. You'll also have to look to your rules to see what authority your board has, since RONR gives a board no authority at all.

I am the President of an executive board and our bylaws specifically state that the president is the policy leader. I take this to mean that I get the final say whether or not policies and decisions are approved and that a vote by executive board does not necessarily pass or reject a proposed policy or decision. Is my interpretation accurate?

This is for your organization to decide. It must interpret the meaning of its own bylaws.

If not, can I get clarification on what it means to be the policy leader according to Robert's Rules?

The term is not defined in RONR.

I would think, after reflecting on what RONR does say about your role and presiding (which when you get right down to it, is a position of serving the assembly), you might consider being "policy leader" has more to do with responsibility than power or having the final say. It might be more about ensuring the assembly/organization is well served by having their voted upon policies properly implemented and properly followed. Just thinking out loud. Good luck!

Is my interpretation accurate?

Interpretation of Bylaws is beyond the scope of this forum. It is up to your organization to interpret its own Bylaws, and this requires reading them in their entirety. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 570-573 for some Principles of Interpretation.

That said, I would be very hesitant to suggest that the simple phrase "policy leader" alone gives the President sweeping power to veto any action of the Executive Board. I'm not saying your interpretation is necessarily incorrect, but I would look carefully at the rest of the Bylaws before reaching a conclusion. A few vague words without any context seems insufficient to make such a sweeping generalization. As a practical matter, I suspect your organization will not be very supportive of this interpretation. :)

You might also want to imagine that someone other than you is the President and consider whether this would change your interpretation. ;)

If not, can I get clarification on what it means to be the policy leader according to Robert's Rules?

No. The term "policy leader" is never used in RONR.

I am the President of an executive board and our bylaws specifically state that the president is the policy leader. I take this to mean that I get the final say whether or not policies and decisions are approved and that a vote by executive board does not necessarily pass or reject a proposed policy or decision. Is my interpretation accurate? If not, can I get clarification on what it means to be the policy leader according to Robert's Rules?

RONR does not clarify what it means to be a "policy leader". But the idea that the term "leader" should be interpreted as being even vaguely synonymous with "dictator" is something that would run counter to the fundamental principles which have informed the The Work for the past century.

According to RONR, the president has no more "rights" than any member, but rather a duty to help implement the deliberate will of the majority according to the tenets of parliamentary law.

Maybe that's what you meant?

Archived