The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidental Authority

Guest Dale

Does the President of the Board have the authority to make cash outlays, such as hiring outside contractors, without prior approval of a majority of the Board?

Your president (and your board) has only the authority given him by your bylaws (or other properly adopted motions). There is no "default" authority, other than to preside at meetings.

Your president (and your board) has only the authority given him by your bylaws (or other properly adopted motions). There is no "default" authority, other than to preside at meetings.

I am not sure I understand your answer. Our By-Laws do not address the authority of the President. Does this mean that cash outlays may only be made by the Board, with prior approval of the members of the complex?

Does this mean that cash outlays may only be made by the Board, with prior approval of the members of the complex?

It means that if your bylaws (or other rules) don't give your president, or your board, this authority, either broadly or specifically, he, or it, can't do it. The ultimate authority rests with the members of your organization. They can give (loan) some of that authority to the president and to the board. The bylaws is the place to find out just how much authority has been loaned.

I am not sure I understand your answer. Our By-Laws do not address the authority of the President. Does this mean that cash outlays may only be made by the Board, with prior approval of the members of the complex?

Cash outlays can't be made by the president unless the bylaws give the president that authority.

Cash outlays can't be made by the board unless the bylaws give the board that authority.

Does the President of the Board have the authority to ...
... make cash outlays,

No. Not per Robert's Rules of Order.

... such as hiring outside contractors,

No. Not per Robert's Rules of Order.

... without prior approval of a majority of the Board?

Not even the board can do this, per Robert's Rules of Order.

Now, with that said, the next thing to check is your bylaws.

It is possible that your bylaws grant authority to your president, or grant authority to your board.

But if you asking, generically, per Robert's Rules of Order, what power a president has, or what power a board has, then the answer is "None," by default.

Have you read your bylaws?

Is your president empowered?

Is your board empowered?

To do what?

Archived