The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting Procedures & Dissolving Organization

Pdwmotor

I belong to a ladies auxilliary and some of our members right now have an interest of dissolving the organization...I would like to know if the full membership has to be in agreement or if the majority vote can dissolve the organization..

I am also curious if a write-in vote is allowed since there is nothing in our by-laws that state either way..

Does anyone know how to find out if we are also part of the men's charter since this is not stated either in our by-laws..

Thanks You

I belong to a ladies auxilliary and some of our members right now have an interest of dissolving the organization...I would like to know if the full membership has to be in agreement or if the majority vote can dissolve the organization.

Dissolving an (unincorporated) organization consists of rescinding its bylaws. Which is just an extreme form of amendment. So you'd follow your bylaws own rules for amending them.

I am also curious if a write-in vote is allowed since there is nothing in our by-laws that state either way.

If you're referring to mailing in an absentee ballot, the answer is no.

Does anyone know how to find out if we are also part of the men's charter since this is not stated either in our by-laws.

If there's nothing in either set of bylaws, and no superior rule that applies to both organizations (e.g. a national charter), then you might be independent. I'd ask those people who think you are not to show you the rule.

I belong to a ladies auxilliary and some of our members right now have an interest of dissolving the organization...I would like to know if the full membership has to be in agreement or if the majority vote can dissolve the organization..

I am also curious if a write-in vote is allowed since there is nothing in our by-laws that state either way..

Does anyone know how to find out if we are also part of the men's charter since this is not stated either in our by-laws..

Thanks You

For the last question, you'd have to read the men's charter to see if your group is referenced in it.

As far as dissolving the organization is concerned, in parliamentary terms that amounts to rescinding the bylaws, which is treated according to the same procedure as amending the bylaws, which normally is to be found within the bylaws.

If not, the default requirement is either, with prior notice, a 2/3 vote; or without prior notice, a majority of the entire membership of the society.

I would add that some consideration should be given, in advance of your dissolution, to the disposition of any assets (bank account balances, real estate, and such)you might possess as well. You might find the assistance of a lawyer may be warranted. This would most likely be in the case of an incorporated society, but it's still something to think about before you "call it quits." It would be well-advised to avoid any conflict that arises between former members. Just a thought.

Thank you all for your help..

Just one more thing when a vote is taken at the actual meeting can it be done in written form as a feel a couple of memebers are being pressured to dissolve the organization..

Also the members that want to dissolve the organziation are the ones that would have the charter..Is there a place that I can find the Charter without them knowing?? So that I can have my facts straight at the meeting..They say we are part of their Charter, but some of the older mmembers I have spoken with say that we are not..

How come trying to do something good causes such hardship amoung members..

Just one more thing when a vote is taken at the actual meeting can it be done in written form as a feel a couple of memebers are being pressured to dissolve the organization..

A majority vote could order that the vote be taken by ballot.

Is there a place that I can find the Charter without them knowing?

You'll need to find out who the chartering agency is. It might be a division of your State government or a state or national organization. You might ask members of other organizations that are similar to yours (such as ones in the next county or next state).

Archived