The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electing a President

dbpc2000

Wouldn't that have to be noticed in advance if we went to another location right after the annual meeting ?

No. It's considered a continuation of the meeting (technically it's a new meeting but the same session). If members want to attend, they should show up when the (first) meeting is called to order. No additional notice is required for the continuation.

Besides, you often can't give notice in advance because, in most cases, you won't know that you'll be adjourning the meeting to a later time until you actually do it. And you might not know when or where either.

Of course you could always leave a note on the door saying that you're meeting across the street.

What if there are no nominations or no seconds?

What happens then ?

Can someone nominate themselves ?

Yes, you can nominate yourself. And if there are no nominations you vote anyway (for someone who wasn't nominated). And nominations don't require a second.

You might want to get yourself a copy of RONR In Brief. It's a lot easier to have an understanding of the rules in advance, instead of trying to catch up as events are unfolding.

Yes, you can nominate yourself. And if there are no nominations you vote anyway (for someone who wasn't nominated). And nominations don't require a second.

You might want to get yourself a copy of RONR In Brief. It's a lot easier to have an understanding of the rules in advance, instead of trying to catch up as events are unfolding.

Thanks so much for your help. I will get a copy of RONR In Brief tomorrow. Can you point me to a section of the full version ( 10 th edition, I believe I have ) that would speak to the recess of the meeting to continue at another location?

Can you point me to a section of the full version ( 10 th edition, I believe I have ) that would speak to the recess of the meeting to continue at another location?

See pp. 80-83 for more on recessing and adjourning. Some here may argue that recessing implies returning to the same location so adjourning might be the better option. Stay tuned.

The President presides at the annual meeting. Can he not adjourn the annual meeting, call to order a meeting of the new board, and preside over this meeting?

No, you can't transform a meeting of the general membership into a meeting of the board. Since your board meetings presumably also require previous notice, I doubt a special meeting could be called so quickly either.

Is there a way he could manage to do this without violating any rules?

Unless your Bylaws allow special meetings to be called with virtually no notice, or if your Bylaws provide that the board shall have a regular meeting immediately after the annual meeting, no.

If he does, how can he be stopped?

You could raise a Point of Order and subsequent Appeal that the meeting is invalid. You and enough other board members to make the meeting lose quorum could get up and leave. You could simply make a motion to Adjourn.

If business ends up being conducted anyway, a Point of Order and subsequent Appeal can be raised at a later meeting, and disciplinary action may be appropriate.

However, this is NOTICE of the meeting, I believe.

Only if the notice was included in the call of the meeting, sent to all members of the board, and the notice was provided sufficiently in advance as required under your Bylaws. If the meeting was properly called, it may be adjourned.

Considering that at this point it is not yet known who the members of the board will be, it would seem to me it would be rather difficult to send them notice.

Wouldn't that have to be noticed in advance if we went to another location right after the annual meeting ? So members (residents) can attend if they wish ?

Nothing in RONR requires notice for an adjourned meeting, requires that members of the general membership be informed of board meetings, or requires that members of the general membership be permitted to attend board meetings. Your rules may provide otherwise.

Is it proper to adjourn and move to another location right then?

Yes (assuming, of course, that this is a properly called meeting to begin with).

What if there are no nominations

You conduct the election and members cast write-in votes for any eligible candidate. It is likely several rounds of balloting will be required before one candidate receives a majority.

or no seconds?

Nominations do not require seconds (even if someone nominates himself).

Can someone nominate themselves ?

Yes.

Can you point me to a section of the full version ( 10 th edition, I believe I have ) that would speak to the recess of the meeting to continue at another location?

Sections 20-22 cover the motions to Recess, Adjourn, and Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn.

I still don't think we've established that this board meeting after the annual meeting is properly called and I don't see why you can't just wait until the first regular meeting the following evening, but whatever. :)

The meeting after the annual meeting for the new Board members is noted on the annual meeting adgenda after adjourn it says:

ADJOURN

Note: There will be a short Organizational Board Meeting immediately following the Annual Meeting - President

Is this an actual notice? It does meet the requirements in our bylaws which say notice of a special meeting must be mailed out regular mail and the time is okay because they will get this agenda in the annual meeting package which is mailed to all residents 30 days in advance of the meeting so that means all the prospective Board members.

What has me bewildered is it says President in the next column. Every item on the agenda is being presented by either the President or the Treasurer.

Our bylaws state:

The annual meeting of the membership of this association shall be held at a place and time

during January to be designated by the President. One of the purposes of which shall be the

election of the Board of Directors for the ensuing calendar year, all of whom shall take office immeditely.

This is why I believe he is going to try to run the meeting afterward. He is the only President until a new President is elected.

Our bylaws state:

3. BOARD OF DIRECTORS

3.1 NUMBER AND TERM OF DIRECTORS

The business, property and affairs of this Association shall be managed by a Board of Directors

composed of seven (7) persons. Each director shall hold office for the term for which he is

elected and until his successor is elected and qualified.

So is he President & can preside until the new President is elected & can preside rather then myself, as VP, presiding over the newly elected Board?

In the past the old President did not try to stay or run the meeting of the newly elected Board but from the comments he has nade I believe this is his plan.

The meeting package was already approved by the present Board and mailed.

Also, our bylaws , which are not very clear do state :

3.4 TIME OF MEETING

Annual meeting of the Board of Directors shall be immediately following the annual meeting of

the members each year, at such times thereafter as the Board of Directors may fix, and at other

times upon the call of the President or by two (2) of the Directors. Notice of each special

meeting shall be given by the Secretary to each Director not less than five (5) days before the

meeting, unless each Director shall waive notice thereof before, at or after the meeting.

also our bylaws state:

10. ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW BOARD

The President shall appoint a chairperson of the Architectural Review Board at the annual meeting of the Board of Directors held in January of each year. The Board of Directors shall select four (4) additional members for the Architectural Review Board.

The new president always did this but the President in now thinks he can appoint . He already choose someone to be Treasurer and the present Treasurer is training them. This never occured in the past eiher. I guess he must be pretty sure he will have the votes to win. The person they are training is very new to the community so might not get elected. I think you can see why I am concered as to how to keep him from interferring in the new Board. Other Presidents have not done so but I don't want to speak up only to find out that he has the right to do this.

Thanks

Do you have an opinion on who runs the "special" meeting with the newly elected Board based on what our bylaws say?

The proper interpretation of bylaws requires reading them in their entirety, something that's beyond the scope of this forum.

That said, it may be the case that your president remains in office until a new president is elected. So the current president would call the board meeting to order and preside up until the point at which a new president is elected (unless the current president is re-elected).

The proper interpretation of bylaws requires reading them in their entirety, something that's beyond the scope of this forum.

That said, it may be the case that your president remains in office until a new president is elected. So the current president would call the board meeting to order and preside up until the point at which a new president is elected (unless the current president is re-elected).

That is the way I am interpeting it now that I have reread the bylaws. It just was never done that way before but appears he is President until the new one is elected.

He is not running again...so he says...but of course could be nomitated from the floor & accept. Don't think he would get re-elected though since most of the residents can't wait until he is gone.

Again, thanks

• 4 years later...

In the current presidents absence, the VP is conducting the meeting.  This meeting is to elect new officers for a two year period.  The vp is going to be nominated.  Can he conduct the meeting and call for the vote, or should the new vp be elected first and then take the place of the conducting vp for the vote?

Archived