The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting minutes

Guest Jim

You should advise him of the contents of RONR(10th ed.), p. 451, l. 25-28.

Thank you. I told him minutes should not contain conversation, but he insists that if something is said by a Board member with the statement of "I want this noted in the minutes" then I have to include it. I will take note of page 451. I have the book and am trying hard to figure this out. I am very new at this.

Thank you. I told him minutes should not contain conversation, but he insists that if something is said by a Board member with the statement of "I want this noted in the minutes" then I have to include it. I will take note of page 451. I have the book and am trying hard to figure this out. I am very new at this.

Ask him to show you the rule (bylaw, RONR, or wherever) that supports this.

... but he insists that if something is said by a Board member with the statement of "I want this noted in the minutes" then I have to include it.

THAT is definitely not anything from any edition of Robert's Rules of Order.

Maybe (a long shot!) he is referring to state law, i.e., the corporations code for your state?

Maybe he is referring to the organization's articles of incorporation?

Maybe he is referring to a rule embedded in the organization's charter (from a national or international superior organization)?

Maybe (a long shot!) he is referring to state law, i.e., the corporations code for your state?

Maybe he is referring to the organization's articles of incorporation?

Maybe he is referring to a rule embedded in the organization's charter (from a national or international superior organization)?

I suspect it is more likely this is a case of a member mistakenly believing that practices of legislative assemblies are applicable to voluntary societies. What the member is speaking of sounds similar to the practice of "reading into the record."

In my experience, this is usually the source when members believe they can "read into the record," or "filibuster," or that a President can "veto" motions of the assembly. I suspect it may also be the source of the belief that certain motions require "three readings" before they can be put to a vote.

Archived