The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ammending Bylaws

Guest Jane K.

A board member decided they wanted to propose ammendments to our bylaws. We voted and approved those bylaws months ago. He agreed to add the ammendments. We have been waiting months to received the new bylaws, now he wants to make more ammendments and it's a different board. He refuses to send us the bylaws the previous board voted on first. Don't we have to work off the new bylaws that werre ammended months ago?

Sorry I should have clarified. We did have a bylaw committee set up. A board member initially made the request of some changes, we agreed. The bylaws were approved. We never received the finalized written bylaws back in June when the changes were made. Now, we have some new board members and the same board member wants the bylaw committee to revisit the bylaws with more ammendments. When I asked if we could get the updated bylaws from June first he gave me a hard time and doesn't understand why. Clarification of the rule would be helpful to me. My feeling is that he was unhappy with some initial ammendments he wanted changed, weren't approved and now with a new board wants to sneak in those changes. I would like to see the initial bylaws and think it's only fair the new members see them too before new ammendments are proposed. Hope this all makes sense. Thank you!

Sorry I should have clarified. We did have a bylaw committee set up. A board member initially made the request of some changes, we agreed. The bylaws were approved. We never received the finalized written bylaws back in June when the changes were made. Now, we have some new board members and the same board member wants the bylaw committee to revisit the bylaws with more ammendments. When I asked if we could get the updated bylaws from June first he gave me a hard time and doesn't understand why. Clarification of the rule would be helpful to me. My feeling is that he was unhappy with some initial ammendments he wanted changed, weren't approved and now with a new board wants to sneak in those changes. I would like to see the initial bylaws and think it's only fair the new members see them too before new ammendments are proposed. Hope this all makes sense. Thank you!

What you haven't clarified is how the board gets the power to amend the bylaws of the society. What do the bylaws say about their own amendment? Normally the bylaws can only be changed by the membership. Do your bylaws say otherwise?

Anyway, whatever the board thinks it voted on, whether proper or not, would be recorded in the minutes of the meetings at which you say the voting took place. Look there, and you will find what took place. Or what didn't. In other words, you should be talking to the secretary, not to the board member who made the motion(s).

So far as we can tell so far, you never changed the bylaws. Tell us why you think you did.

I would like to see the initial bylaws and think it's only fair the new members see them too before new ammendments are proposed.

All members should be given a copy of the bylaws (and any other rules and policies) upon joining the organization. (Actually, I'd prefer to see the bylaws before I join an organization so I know what I'm getting in for.)

The bylaws belong to the organization, not to the board or any one board member to keep as a secret document. See FAQ #20 if you want to get rid of this board member.

Thanks, actually we just received an email that he has submitted his resignation. All changes are now mute. Thanks for your help!

I don't see how his resignation changes anything. They bylaws were either changed, or not, without respect to who did or did not resign afterward.

And make sure you remember to ACCEPT his resignation, or you'll be back here a month from now saying that he's back, and claiming still to be on the board. And we'll tell you he's right.

Archived