The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Incomplete Election Process

Gene

If no one was nominated for one of the positions on the Board of Directors where the bylaws state that the Board Member is elected by the general membership of the organization can this position be filled through any other process, such as through the actions of the Board of Directors?

There is a provision in our bylaws to fill a vacancy, and I believe that RONR, NR 10th Edition pg. 426, line 27 - pg. 427, line 5; pg. 429, lines 31 - pg. 430, lines 3 establish the need for another general election by the membership to fill the position until the end of the term. (Three and one-half years)

The current president believes that he can appoint someone to the position as long as a majority of the Board approves of his choice for the position.

As has been discussed in earlier subjects on this forum the president uses the terms "vacancy" and "unfilled position because there was no candidate" interchangeably.

In RONR, NR are they interchangeable for the purpose of filling the position?

Sorry to be so dense on this, but we are having a hard time coming to grips with the incomplete election condition.

If no one was nominated for one of the positions on the Board of Directors where the bylaws state that the Board Member is elected by the general membership of the organization can this position be filled through any other process, such as through the actions of the Board of Directors?

No. An incomplete election can not be completed by any (mid-term) vacancy-filling procedures.

Don't get hung up on the word "vacancy".

No.

(Hey, that was easy!) :)

The current president believes that he can appoint someone to the position as long as a majority of the Board approves of his choice for the position.

FALSE, if Robert's Rules of Order applies, and if you have no superior rule saying otherwise.

It isn't me, it is the president who wants to fill the position on the Executive Committee, by appointment, with someone who will side with him on issues that come before the Executive Committee.

Either way is OK with me, but I prefer to follow the Robert's Rules since we have plenty of time for the the election process to work before our next annual meeting.

Archived