The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's Rights

forsythia

At our last meeting a member of the BOD became very agitated; started yelling, turning red, sweating, banging on the table. I am President of the BOD and I told him to control himself, he leaned over the table and called me a "filibuster" All this because I invited a guest speaker (President of a similar organization) that he did not want to listen to. Can I have this member of the BOD removed for the remainder of the meeting?

I am President of the BOD and I told him to control himself, he leaned over the table and called me a "filibuster"

That doesn't even make sense, since the term "filibuster" refers to the tactic itself, not the person who uses it. Nor does it seem that the tactic itself has any meaningful application to the situation at hand.

If he's going to insult people he should at least make an effort to be comprehensible. :)

If he persists in his disruptive behavior (after being admonished to stop), yes. See Chapter 20 of RONR or FAQ 20 on this b-board.

I'm sure you mean by this that if he persists in his disruptive behavior, the board may order the member removed. The President does not have this authority on his own.

Archived