The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections/voting requirements?

Guest Jon

No. Write-ins are always permitted, and by their very nature, write-in candidates often never announce their candidacy.

They're elected.....

I really don't think so. If an organization's election rules do not allow write-ins, then write-ins are not allowed.

They issue is that they are not addressed at all, they don't disallow them nor allow them... its simply not addressed. So those wanting them and those against them are in gridlock, each thinking they are correct.

I really don't think so. If an organization's election rules do not allow write-ins, then write-ins are not allowed.

I'm afraid it's the other way around: if write-in votes are not prohibited, they're permitted as, barring any restriction in the bylaws, members are free to vote for whomever they want.

But perhaps you can cite something in RONR to support your statement. And perhaps you can log on with a name just a tad more identifiable than "Guest".

They issue is that they are not addressed at all, they don't disallow them nor allow them... its simply not addressed.

If the Bylaws are silent, then the rules of RONR apply, and under RONR, members may vote for any eligible candidate, whether or not the candidate has been nominated. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 425, lines 14-16) Votes for candidates who have not been nominated are often referred to as "write-in" votes.

If you want to prohibit write-in votes you will need to explicitly prohibit them in your Bylaws.

I'm afraid it's the other way around: if write-in votes are not prohibited, they're permitted as, barring any restriction in the bylaws, members are free to vote for whomever they want.

But perhaps you can cite something in RONR to support your statement. And perhaps you can log on with a name just a tad more identifiable than "Guest".

OK, let me try again. Tripped up by the ambiguity of the English language and/or my use of the language..

If the governing documents specifically state that write-ins are not allowed, then no write-ins are allowed.

So what is the default if our bylaws do not address write in? they do not say if the allowed or not, do we default to Robert's rules?

OK, let me try again. Tripped up by the ambiguity of the English language and/or my use of the language..

If the governing documents specifically state that write-ins are not allowed, then no write-ins are allowed.

And yet, that isn't the case here anyway. So making a point that doesn't apply to the case at hand is..... well, pointless. :rolleyes:

They did not meet the deadlines for submitting their canadacy?

Jon, is there something here in your bylaws that may apply in some way?

Archived