The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appoint Committee Chair

Daddio044

I'm looking for interpretation of the following by-law as it refers to standing committees:

B. The chairpersons of the standing committees shall be appointed by the President upon approval of the elected officers.

We have two people that have contacted the president with interest in the committee chair. Is it up to the president to decide which one to appoint, and have that one person voted on, then appoint them if they are approved. Or should (both interested people) be put to vote and the winning vote appointed by the president? Also, in the event of a tie, it's a no vote, but then leave it open?

I'm looking for interpretation of the following by-law as it refers to standing committees:

B. The chairpersons of the standing committees shall be appointed by the President upon approval of the elected officers.

We have two people that have contacted the president with interest in the committee chair. Is it up to the president to decide which one to appoint, and have that one person voted on, then appoint them if they are approved. Or should (both interested people) be put to vote and the winning vote appointed by the president? Also, in the event of a tie, it's a no vote, but then leave it open?

Interpretation of your bylaws can only be done by your society.

If you still have questions, you might check out this bylaws forum too.

Archived