The Official RONR Q & A Forums

member rights

Guest jessie

If a employee has been suspended with out pay and have not paid their dues; do they still have a right to attend union meeting and vote?

RONR makes no connection between membership and employment, nor is being delinquent in the payment of dues sufficient to terminate membership rights.

You'll have to look to your rules, and any applicable laws, for the answer.

If a employee has been suspended with out pay and have not paid their dues; do they still have a right to attend union meeting and vote?

If the rules in RONR control, a member who is in arrears on his dues can attend meetings and vote until he is formally removed from the rolls by operation of some rule in the bylaws to by a disciplinary action. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 393, 394.

If the rules in RONR control, a member who is in arrears on his dues can attend meetings and vote until he is formally removed from the rolls by operation of some rule in the bylaws to by a disciplinary action. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 393, 394.

What if they are suspected due to criminal charges?

Jessie: having considerable experience in the labor union field, I suggest you consult your constitution and bypass. Any union worth its salt should have a provision that a member remains in good standing until all avenues for contesting pending disciplinary action have been exhausted. Otherwise the union would be in no position to help him. Dues in arrays generally jeaporxizes amember's standing only when it is done by choice, not because the member is not paid (and I'm assuming you do automatic payroll deduction). In any case check your union's rules. It should be there and definitely would not be in RONR.

Man! This is so frustrating! The automatic spell correction on my itouch apparently doesn't recognize bylaws as a word! Not having my cheat glasses didn't help either. That should have said constitution and BYLAWS. Thank you for catching that, H. It's tough getting old...

The one thing that's worse than getting old - is NOT getting old!

Man! This is so frustrating! The automatic spell correction on my itouch apparently doesn't recognize bylaws as a word! Not having my cheat glasses didn't help either. That should have said constitution and BYLAWS. Thank you for catching that, H. It's tough getting old...

Yikes on the automatic part -- sounds even more hazardous than a standard 'spill chucker', as Mr. Foulkes dubbed it in a recent post :lol: .

It tries to guess what you're typing and a pop up indicates the word it's "thinking". If I don't actively dismiss that pop-up it goes into the text. On those rare occasions that I'm typing fairly quickly with 2 thumbs on the tiny keyboard, I might not even see the quick pop=up, so it's not really just "spell checking". Plus, with no cheat glasses, I missed some stuff. I apologize for my spelling and goofs. In between keeping airplanes from crashing I like to check this board on my breaks and keep up with the topics. The Itouch can be a blessing and a curse, I guess!

Archived