The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election

Guest jan

If a motion was made to keep the current officers and three trustees, but one of the trustees wasn't interested in running again - so two other persons were nominated for trustee. How should the ballot read? Do I list all four candidates and ask them to pick three or do I just list the two new people and they have to pick one (since a motion was made to keep current officers)

If a motion was made to keep the current officers and three trustees, but one of the trustees wasn't interested in running again - so two other persons were nominated for trustee. How should the ballot read? Do I list all four candidates and ask them to pick three or do I just list the two new people and they have to pick one (since a motion was made to keep current officers)

It's hard for me to imagine how such a motion could control anything other than nominations -- you're not saying that the adoption of the motion somehow took the place of the election, are you?

Since you are talking about preparing a ballot, I assume the election hasn't taken place yet, so the people nominated via the motion, and the two others nominated later, are all just nominees at this point.

no one is running against the current officers except for the position of trustee. we have 3 trustees, but since one trustee is stepping down -- do we technically have only one position for trustee available or do we have three available --- the motion was made to keep current board -- So I don't know if i should list all four nominees for 3 positions or list the two new nominees and have the membership pick one of the two new nominees to fill the position the person stepping down.

no one is running against the current officers except for the position of trustee. we have 3 trustees, but since one trustee is stepping down -- do we technically have only one position for trustee available or do we have three available --- the motion was made to keep current board -- So I don't know if i should list all four nominees for 3 positions or list the two new nominees and have the membership pick one of the two new nominees to fill the position the person stepping down.

Well, what's the term for the trustees? If all three are up for election, then you should have an election, with all available candidates running. If the membership is the electing body, the membership should elect from among the available candidates. The election should take place when the bylaws say it should take place.

Who made this motion about keeping the incumbents? When/where was the motion made? Was the motion adopted?

Again, assuming the election hasn't taken place yet, I don't see how such a motion could be viewed as anything more than part of the nomination process.

If a motion was made to keep the current officers and three trustees, but one of the trustees wasn't interested in running again - so two other persons were nominated for trustee.

How should the ballot read?

Do I list all four candidates and ask them to pick three or do I just list the two new people and they have to pick one (since a motion was made to keep current officers)

Technically, you don't need to list anyone.

A ballot can be a blank piece of paper.

Thus, you can finesse your problem by being simple and plain, instead of being complex and conflicted.

Your pickle only popped up because someone made a motion (viz., to keep the current officers and to keep the three trustees).

You should have ignored the motion (i.e., vote it down, or otherwise see that it was not adopted).

Since there is a conflict between

(a.) what the mover wished, vs. (b.) reality,

I think reality should win.

I think you should respect the wishes of the unwilling nominee, since the motion, as moved, won't be 100% fulfilled. -- You won't be keeping all the officers/trustees.

So the motion was a waste of time, and a source of stress and confusion.

You cannot have a motion to keep the current officers if their terms are up. They have to be reëlected. You can nominate them (and others) for election, but that's not a motion either. So forget the motion. Even if it was adopted, it is guaranteed to violate your bylaws.

The ballot, if names are to be printed on it at all (which is not required), ought to include all the names of all those nominated. It should also include designated spaces for write-in votes for each office.

Archived