The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsideration of vote

Guest Paul Veltman

A few months ago, the club secretary mailed an advisory ballot to all members asking for their vote on Issue 1 or Issue 2. These were mutually exclusive, one or the other had to win. Issue 1 won.

Subsequently, the President of the stated that he Issue 2 to win. So he has called a member meeting and will ask for reconsideration by voice or show of hands.

I read the part on ballots on page 305 and on and it leads me to believe that another vote on the same question is out of order. But even so, shouldn't a reconsideration of a vote by mail ballot also be conducted by mail ballot to prevent stuffing the meeting with supporters of issue 2?

Any opinions?

Cheers!

Paul

Any opinions?

Firstly, the motion to Reconsider has very specific requirements and is no longer an option in this situation.

But an adopted motion can often be rescinded or otherwise amended so, unless the authorized action has been completed, it's never too late to take another look at a question.

And the fact the the motion was originally adopted by a mail-in ballot (and I trust your bylaws authorize such absentee voting because RONR doesn't), doesn't mean that a motion to rescind (or amend) has to be voted on in the same manner.

And "stuffing" the meeting with your supporters it what politics (and democracy) is all about.

Archived