The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Authority to Declare a Motion Dilatory

Guest Bob V.

Can the chair unilaterally declare a motion dilatory, or does that declaration require a majority vote of the board before it is enforced?

It would be very unusual for a motion to be declared dilatory after it has been adopted, so I don't know what you mean by "before it is enforced". The only thing to "enforce" would be refusal to state or put the question at a meeting.

It would be very unusual for a motion to be declared dilatory after it has been adopted, so I don't know what you mean by "before it is enforced". The only thing to "enforce" would be refusal to state or put the question at a meeting.

I assumed the question was about "enforcing" the ruling.

I assumed the question was about "enforcing" the ruling.

I made the same assumption.

Bob V.,

See RONR(10th ed.), p. 247, l. 19-22: "By electing a presiding officer, the assembly delegates to him the authority and duty to make necessary rulings on questions of parliamentary law. But any two members have the right to Appeal from his decision on such a question."

Can the chair unilaterally declare a motion dilatory, or does that declaration require a majority vote of the board before it is enforced?

The Chair can rule a motion dilatory - the Board does not have to approve the Chair's decision, however it does have the right (through an appeal) to over rule the motion.

Archived