The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who Can Attend a board meeting?

Guest Jim Cavallaro

My question is Who Can Attend a board meeting,other than officers and board members? Thanks in advance

Whoever the Board wants to allow to attend. Also, just because someone is an officer doesn't mean they have a right to attend Board meetings unless they are Board members also or the bylaws grant them that right.

• 4 months later...

Do you have a citation for your response so I can share it with my board?

You could point them to Section 1, "The Deliberative Assembly" (pp.1-9), which defines the rights of members of such an assembly and describes a board as such an assembly.

Or you could shift the burden of proof to them and ask them to show you a rule that gives non-members (of the board) the right to attend board meetings. They won't find it in RONR.

You could point them to Section 1, "The Deliberative Assembly" (pp.1-9), which defines the rights of members of such an assembly and describes a board as such an assembly.

Or you could shift the burden of proof to them and ask them to show you a rule that gives non-members (of the board) the right to attend board meetings. They won't find it in RONR.

Also, you will find on p. 92-93 a discussion of executive session; see p. 93, lines 2 - 7.

Also, you will find on p. 92-93 a discussion of executive session; see p. 93, lines 2 - 7.

Yes, that's helpful, though it should be noted that members of the organization who are not members of the board have no right to attend board meetings whether they're held in executive session or not (a fact the lines cited might tend to obscure).

But meeting in executive session can be a persuasive tactic by which to exclude non-members.

Archived