The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Corresponding Secretary

carmeldiva

My board is asking the corresponding secretary to do things that seem to beyond the scope of that officer's responsiblities. I have concerns. Should the corresponding secretary be sending out correspondence to persons that are not members of the society, should this officer be recording notes of the meeting and should this officer be recording the nomination and election tally and results? If anyone has clarity on these points, I could really use the help.

My board is asking the corresponding secretary to do things that seem to beyond the scope of that officer's responsiblities. I have concerns. Should the corresponding secretary be sending out correspondence to persons that are not members of the society, should this officer be recording notes of the meeting and should this officer be recording the nomination and election tally and results? If anyone has clarity on these points, I could really use the help.

The duties are whatever the bylaws say they are. However, in my experience most bylaws I have seen also include under duties that the assembly can designate other duties besides what are listed in the bylaws.

Should the corresponding secretary be sending out correspondence to persons that are not members of the society,

Under RONR, the job of the Corresponding Secretary is to handle all correspondence which does not fall under the duties of another officer or a committee.

should this officer be recording notes of the meeting and should this officer be recording the nomination and election tally and results?

These are generally not part of the duties of the Corresponding Secretary, as a society with a Corresponding Secretary typically also has a Recording Secretary (sometimes simply called the Secretary), and the duty of keeping minutes is usually assigned to that office.

Your rules may vary, and as Chris H. notes, the Bylaws frequently allow additional duties to be assigned.

Archived