The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tie Vote

Guest Frank Petolino

Recently we had an election of officers. It was a tie vote. Who can break the vote? I though it would be the reigning President. Please let me know.

And this, quite apart from the substance of your question (which Mr. Mervosh has answered), is an alarming juxtaposition of words :(. Perhaps the kind of attitude that leads the President to believe he can cast twice as many votes as any other member.

And this, quite apart from the substance of your question (which Mr. Mervosh has answered), is an alarming juxtaposition of words :(. Perhaps the kind of attitude that leads the President to believe he can cast twice as many votes as any other member.

I agree. The term "reigning" is properly applied to a current monarch. A quick Google search suggests that this misuse of the term is rather common, so the poster may not mean anything improper by it, although a more generic term such as "incumbent" or "current" would be more appropriate.

I prefer "currently serving".

Though there's no need for any modifier at all as references to "the president" logically refer to the (current, serving, incumbent, reigning) president.

I'm reminded of Yogi Berra's answer when someone asked him what time it was. Yogi responded, "You mean now?"

Funny you should add that. Working in the tower, I chuckle when someone advises an aircraft of a delay, then gives them the required time check by saying "time now 1850 zulu" for example. I ask them if they sometimes give them the time it was 15 minutes ago??

Anyhoo, your point that the modifier isn't needed is well taken. My comment was actually a plug for the notion that good leaders lead by serving, a topic near and dear to me.

Archived