The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to hold special meeting

Guest Wahooneb

Our church financial committee meets quarterly to review the budget and expenditures. We have experienced some unusual expenses for building maintenance that may cause us to require a special offering. Do I need a motion and second to call for a special out of cycle meeting to review the finances?

Our church financial committee meets quarterly to review the budget and expenditures. We have experienced some unusual expenses for building maintenance that may cause us to require a special offering. Do I need a motion and second to call for a special out of cycle meeting to review the finances?

Will the committee be meeting? I'm not clear where you would make your motion and second.

Only that there will be a scheduled quarterly meeting of the different committees with a general memberswhip business meeting to follow within a week.

Unclear.

90 days (one quarter) is a lot of leeway.

If you have a rule which says, "Meetings are to be quarterly," then I must ask, "WHO gets to fix the actual date, within that fixed 90-day window?"

Is the rule specific, or generic? -- Can you meet "... at least quarterly ..." or "... only quarterly ..."?

Since this is a committee, I believe you could meet at the call of the committee chair. Even if that is so (and perhaps other posters will have a different opinion), does the committee have the authority to require a special offering? Or is that a decision that must be made by the general membership?

Archived