The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amendments to a reesolution that are defeated

Guest Fran

a resolution was presented and seconded. It was then amended. The amendment was defeated by roll call vote. Vote on original resolution passed with 2 nays. Do I include the defeated amendment language as part of the resolution when certifying it or just the fact it passed with 2 nays.

a resolution was presented and seconded. It was then amended. The amendment was defeated by roll call vote. Vote on original resolution passed with 2 nays. Do I include the defeated amendment language as part of the resolution when certifying it or just the fact it passed with 2 nays.

Help us out with what you mean by "certifying" a resolution.

Do I include the defeated amendment language as part of the resolution when certifying it or just the fact it passed with 2 nays.

The minutes would typically record the motion that was finally adopted, without all the intervening steps (e.g. amendments) and without the vote count (unless a counted vote was ordered or required). RONR includes sample minutes that might be helpful.

Typical certifying language goes like:

The following is a true copy of a resolution adopted on December 17, 2020, at a <regular>|<properly called> meeting of the Professional Bloviators' Society, at which a quorum was present:

Whereas.... <snip>

The vote count or the fact that it may have been amended before adoption is not appropriate.

Archived