The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion on tabled issue

jitters

We voted last month to table a vote on a project until? and there is the problem. At our meeting tonight the president called for a vote on the issue, when I stated we requested this issue be tabled until new officers took office in January I was told that I could not table again and it must be voted on tonight. I thought if we voted last month to table it until a specific meeting we were ok. However the minute from last month’s meeting conveniently was not available tonight so there was no proof of the actual motion made. when we started to discuss it the president cut us off and called for a vote. It was a close vote but we lost. My question is can I bring this issue up again next meeting or is it dead.

We voted last month to table a vote on a project until? and there is the problem. At our meeting tonight the president called for a vote on the issue, when I stated we requested this issue be tabled until new officers took office in January I was told that I could not table again and it must be voted on tonight. I thought if we voted last month to table it until a specific meeting we were ok. However the minute from last month’s meeting conveniently was not available tonight so there was no proof of the actual motion made. when we started to discuss it the president cut us off and called for a vote. It was a close vote but we lost. My question is can I bring this issue up again next meeting or is it dead.

The motion can be renewed at the next meeting. It is handled just as if it had never been made before.

The motion to Lay on the Table is seldom in order in most societies. See FAQ 12.

And even the proper motion to use in this case--to Postpone--cannot be used to postpone a motion beyond the next regular business meeting. And if meetings are more than a quarterly interval apart, not even beyond the end of the current meeting.

So the chair was correct in ruling that the matter could not be "tabled" or postponed until January.

However, you are free to renew the motion by moving it again at any future meeting--say, January, for instance.

Archived