The Official RONR Q & A Forums

tie vote

Guest curt

Hi, my wife is the president of a small resort and she is dealing with a tie vote on an important issue. Her question is can she table the issue and discuss the issue at the annual meeting in May or do they have to have a re-vote?

Except in the case of an election, a tie vote simply defeats the motion. The defeated motion can be "renewed" at each and every subsequent (regular) meeting as if it had never been made.

No tabling please. See FAQ #12.

Hi, my wife is the president of a small resort and she is dealing with a tie vote on an important issue. Her question is can she table the issue and discuss the issue at the annual meeting in May or do they have to have a re-vote?

A tie vote defeats the motion. She should have announced that the motion was lost, immediately following the vote.

A subsidiary motion (such as "table") cannot be applied to a motion that is not pending. This particular motion is not pending, because it was lost.

The president does not have the authority to temporarily dispose of a motion; this is up to the assembly.

The motion to Lay on the Table is probably the most misused motion, and it is almost always out of order. While the main motion was pending, and before the vote, the assembly could have postponed the motion to a later time. However, it could not have postponed it until the annual meeting in May.

At the annual meeting in May, the motion can be renewed, if it still makes sense to do so at that time.

Neither.

Since a tie vote is less than a majority, any issue (important or not) which does not have more Aye votes than No votes is simply defeated.

Archived