The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tied Vote

Guest J.J.

We have 4 people running for 3 positions. There was clearly 1 winner and the other 3 tied with the same amount of votes. We were told at next months meeting there would be a re vote. My question is , who is allowed to vote? All members, or just the members who were present at the first vote. Thanks

We have 4 people running for 3 positions. There was clearly 1 winner and the other 3 tied with the same amount of votes. We were told at next months meeting there would be a re vote. My question is , who is allowed to vote? All members, or just the members who were present at the first vote. Thanks

All members that are eligible to vote (pp. 408-9).

Signed,

The Resident J. J. :)

We were told at next months meeting there would be a re vote.

My question is, who is allowed to vote?

All members, or just the members who were present at the first vote?

Not necessarily all members.

Not necessarily members who were present at the first vote.

When a vote is conducted, the only people who can vote are people who are members AT THE TIME THE VOTE IS CONDUCTED.

Thus, it is entirely possible for you organization to have lapsed members, resigned members, dead members, expelled members, suspended members, etc., who had voted in Round One, but are now ineligible to vote in Round Two.

And, likewise, if you have new members who join 5 minutes (or one minute!) before the vote is conducted, they get to vote, of course, since they are members.

Archived