The Official RONR Q & A Forums

board member withdrawl

Guest cf

Board members are elected for our organization in December and take office in January. One of our current board members has not been elected for office for January and has since stepped down from the position. With the year almost at an end do I still need to call a special meeting to accpet the resignation or just proceed in January with the new officers?

Board members are elected for our organization in December and take office in January.

One of our current board members has not been elected for office for January and has since stepped down from the position.

With the year almost at an end do I still need to call a special meeting to accept the resignation or just proceed in January with the new officers?

I wish I had your organizational calendar in front of me to see how tight the deadlines are.

Technically, if you can meet officially, then you can officially accept a resignation. (Are you indeed going to meet well before the day of the election?)

If the election would be next-to-useless, due to the exceedingly short term of office served, and if the organization can live without that officer's services for 30 days or so, then I think it would a waste of time and money to fill that which will be filled naturally mere days later.

Yet, technically, you are certainly free to fill the vacancy.

But by the time you give out previous notice of the vacancy, the regular election will be upon you anyway. Right?

So the timeline, it seems, is so closely coupled to the regular election that I question the value of the extra hoops to jump through, just for the sake of 30 days or so.

Not even enough time for a learning curve to curve for the new guy. :(

Q. What kind of service, or dedication, or action, do you expect from the guy who fills the vacancy for 3-5 weeks?

One of our current board members has not been elected for office for January and has since stepped down from the position.

So this guy loses his bid for re-election and resigns with just weeks to go until his term expires?

Your best option might be to simply not act on his resignation (or else reject it). A resignation is a request to be excused from a duty. It's a request that can be denied and, though there may be few instances where denying it makes sense, this might just be one of them.

Archived