The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions and notices of motion

Guest Pat

"A motion is a formal proposal by a member, in a meeting, that the assembly take certain action." RONR, p. 26

"The term previous notice (or notice), as applied to necessary conditions for the adoption of certain motions, has a particular meaning in parliamentary law. A requirement of previous notice means that announcement that the motion will be introduced - indicating its exact content as described below - must be included in the call of the meeting (p. 5) at which the motion will be brought up, or, as a permissible alternative, if no more than a quarterly time interval (see p. 88) will have elapsed since the preceding meeting, the announcement must be made at the preceding meeting." RONR, p. 116

"A motion is a formal proposal by a member, in a meeting, that the assembly take certain action." RONR, p. 26

"The term previous notice (or notice), as applied to necessary conditions for the adoption of certain motions, has a particular meaning in parliamentary law. A requirement of previous notice means that announcement that the motion will be introduced - indicating its exact content as described below - must be included in the call of the meeting (p. 5) at which the motion will be brought up, or, as a permissible alternative, if no more than a quarterly time interval (see p. 88) will have elapsed since the preceding meeting, the announcement must be made at the preceding meeting." RONR, p. 116

hum... so if I wish to have minutes approved, I would call for a motion, rather than a notice of motion?

hum... so if I wish to have minutes approved, I would call for a motion, rather than a notice of motion?

Neither. If you are the chair, you simply ask if there are any corrections to the minutes. If there are none, you declare the minutes "approved as written." If there are corrections, once they all are made, you declare the minutes "approved as corrected."

If you are not the chair, but you are just concerned that the minutes are not being properly approved, you may raise a Point of Order that they need to be approved.

Yeah, bad example. Try, if you want the assembly to send Christmas cards to all the members on this forum, you'd MOVE to do that (MAKE a motion), as opposed to any NOTICE. e.g. "I move that we as an organization send Christmas cards to the members of the RONR Q&A Forum. It requires no previous notice.

A motion to change your bylaws is an example of something that might require previous notice be given prior to the meeting in which your motion to amend the bylaws will be discussed and voted on.

A motion and notice of a motion are really 2 distinct things. If I kiss my wife, that's different from me telling her in advance I'm going to kiss her. The advance notice lets her know my intent, and she camn decide to be present for, or absent for the event.

As there a difference between motions and notices of motion? My interpretation would be a 'motion' approves business during meetings, while a 'notice of motion' amends a document. I appreciate your comments. thanks.

not at all. you can make a motion to amend a document. again, if the document is something extremely important, you may wish, or be required, to give advance notice of the intent to amend it.

Archived