The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Anonymous Vote

Guest harry

Our president is proposing an up coming membership vote to be anonymous. This is not the historical custom and the By-Laws don't state it one way or the other.

My question is this, can the president just propose it to be anonymous and that is it or does RONR allow this procedure be over-ruled?

Our president is proposing an up coming membership vote to be anonymous. This is not the historical custom and the By-Laws don't state it one way or the other.

My question is this, can the president just propose it to be anonymous and that is it or does RONR allow this procedure be over-ruled?

Outside of small boards and committees, the president doesn't make motions. See FAQ #1 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

RONR doesn't allow this procedure in the first place. The President has no such power. If he says he does, ask for a page and line number in RONR or have him show you this power in the bylaws. If he tries to implement it in a meeting, raise a Point of Order. If he rules against that, Appeal from the Decision of the Chair.

If your ordinary custom is that membership votes are not anonymous, then having a ballot vote will require a motion to vote by ballot, a second to that motion, and a majority vote on that motion.

Archived