The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation of Vice President

Guest Linda Waldemar

Also, the Vice President is the chair of the Program Committee. Our Bylaws address filling the vacancy, but we have been unable to find a willing candidate. In order to perform the functions of the chapter, we need a Program chairman. I propose that for 2011, we allow another person to hold the chairmanship of the program committee although our bylaws states as one of the duties of the Vice President. Is this legal. I also propose that this exception be subject to the same requirements as for amending the bylaws.

Section 10.1 – Amending the Bylaws

These Bylaws can be amended at any regular meeting of the Chapter by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the financial members present provided that each proposed amendment has been read for discussion at the previous regular meeting and two weeks prior notice to vote has been given to the membership.

I propose that for 2011, we allow another person to hold the chairmanship of the program committee although our bylaws states as one of the duties of the Vice President. Is this legal. I also propose that this exception be subject to the same requirements as for amending the bylaws.

You have to amend the bylaws if you want to change a rule that's in the bylaws. But as long as you were going to meet the same requirements, why try to do it any differently?

Later on, by the way, you can always amend them back to the way they were.

Then appoint a Vice-Chairman. Or just have the Committee appoint a chair pro tem at every meeting until a new VP is found. Why change the By-laws instead.

I'm not going to continue to explain someone else's motives (especially when the situation may not be exactly as presented), but it seems perfectly reasonable to amend the bylaws to separate two linked offices if you have trouble finding someone who's willing to serve in both.

The fact that there may be ways to "work around" the bylaws is no reason not to amend them.

Then appoint a Vice-Chairman. Or just have the Committee appoint a chair pro tem at every meeting until a new VP is found. Why change the By-laws instead.

You're not addressing the problem, you're addressing symptoms that are coming up as a result of the problem.

Seems like a medical thing -- got Z problems? Then do X, it'll fix that, but you'll get problems with J? Have J, take K, but it will give you L. Or you could do "A" and have it take care of the problem without all the "voo-doo" of "X", "J", "K", "L".

Also, the Vice President is the chair of the Program Committee. Our Bylaws address filling the vacancy, but we have been unable to find a willing candidate. In order to perform the functions of the chapter, we need a Program chairman. I propose that for 2011, we allow another person to hold the chairmanship of the program committee although our bylaws states as one of the duties of the Vice President. Is this legal. I also propose that this exception be subject to the same requirements as for amending the bylaws.

Section 10.1 – Amending the Bylaws

These Bylaws can be amended at any regular meeting of the Chapter by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the financial members present provided that each proposed amendment has been read for discussion at the previous regular meeting and two weeks prior notice to vote has been given to the membership.

You need to amend the bylaws. Bylaws relating to offices and the eligibility of officers are not suspendable.

Archived