The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Signing the backs of ballots?

nelbuts

In an upcoming election to elect board members the current board has stated that all members must sign the

backs of their ballots with their, NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS, and PHONE NUMBER. There is no provision for this

in the current bylaws as approved by the board. In the bylaws it states that all meetings are to be conducted

using Robert's Rules Revised Edition #10

Is this allowed, as I could not find it in my searches? Thank You

In an upcoming election to elect board members the current board has stated that all members must sign the

backs of their ballots with their, NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS, and PHONE NUMBER. There is no provision for this

in the current bylaws as approved by the board. In the bylaws it states that all meetings are to be conducted

I presume this is a vote among the membership to elect board members, not a vote of the board alone.

Do the current bylaws require a ballot vote?

The use of the term "ballot vote" implies a secret ballot, where the identity of voters cannot be determined. If your bylaws require that, the requirement cannot be suspended. Period.

But in the first place, the board has no authority over elections held by the membership (or any other decision made by the membership, for that matter), unless that power is explicitly granted in the bylaws. By default, boards are powerless. The board reports TO the membership, not the other way around.

Even if the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, the membership may so order by a majority vote. At the membership meeting the board is not even in existence. Any board members who happen to be present are merely other members.

Ask them to show you the rule in the bylaws that allows them to improperly interfere in the very process of their own election. Or use those words in a point of order. ;)

I have gone over the bylaws and there is no provision for a secret ballot. In fact, there is no provision for a ballot at all. Yes it is a vote to elect board members by the general membership.

Thank You for your prompt reply. Happy New Year.

I presume this is a vote among the membership to elect board members, not a vote of the board alone.

Do the current bylaws require a ballot vote?

The use of the term "ballot vote" implies a secret ballot, where the identity of voters cannot be determined. If your bylaws require that, the requirement cannot be suspended. Period.

But in the first place, the board has no authority over elections held by the membership (or any other decision made by the membership, for that matter), unless that power is explicitly granted in the bylaws. By default, boards are powerless. The board reports TO the membership, not the other way around.

Even if the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, the membership may so order by a majority vote. At the membership meeting the board is not even in existence. Any board members who happen to be present are merely other members.

Ask them to show you the rule in the bylaws that allows them to improperly interfere in the very process of their own election. Or use those words in a point of order. ;)

I'm assuming this election is being conducted at a meeting, and not by mail (which would need to be expressly provided for in the bylaws).

The "current Board" doesn't set the rules for ballots. The "current Board" doesn't control the membership in an ordinary society.

You may wish to ask the "current Board" where they derive the authority to control the election, and forcing members to disclose their vote.

I'm assuming this election is being conducted at a meeting, and not by mail (which would need to be expressly provided for in the bylaws).

The "current Board" doesn't set the rules for ballots. The "current Board" doesn't control the membership in an ordinary society.

You may wish to ask the "current Board" where they derive the authority to control the election, and forcing members to disclose their vote.

The response has been loud and clear as to information on the back of ballots. The president now states she will hand ballots out at the door. Once again the board is determining

how the members cast their vote. What is the page number on this so I can look it up prior to the meeting? Thank You in Advance

What is the page number on this so I can look it up prior to the meeting?

The proper handling for Motions Relating to Methods of Voting and the Polls may be found in RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 273-275. The information on the authority of a board (or lack thereof) may be found in RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 464-466.

Archived