The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper way to change the Agenda

dbpc2000

I realize the outgoing board has to post an agenda for the new boards first meeting since it takes place the day after the annual meeting in this case.

This realization is not supported by anything in RONR. Is this practice in your organization's rules?

What if the new board or President doesn't want to follow this agenda? What is the proper way to change it to their liking?

The agenda is not binding until it is approved by the board by majority vote. When the agenda is pending it may be amended by majority vote. The President does not have any special powers with regard to the agenda.

I realize the outgoing board has to post an agenda for the new boards first meeting since it takes place the day after the annual meeting in this case. What if the new board or President doesn't want to follow this agenda? What is the proper way to change it to their liking?

I'm not sure what there is to change. If the rule are observed, there won't be any minutes to approve, and there won't be any orders of the day or unfinished business. What's left to change?

We have a standing rule that says the BOD task list is to be attached to every agenda to be printed and reviewed at every board meeting.

On the BOD task list it states each month on what date the Agenda should be posted for the next Board meetig.

I could not find anything in any of our governing documents, bylaws, covents, etc. that discuss agenda.

We have a standing rule that says the BOD task list is to be attached to every agenda to be printed and reviewed at every board meeting.

On the BOD task list it states each month on what date the Agenda should be posted for the next Board meetig.

I could not find anything in any of our governing documents, bylaws, covents, etc. that discuss agenda.

Well, it shouldn't change anything for now, but it seems to me that your rules need some work. :)

I'm not sure what there is to change. If the rule are observed, there won't be any minutes to approve, and there won't be any orders of the day or unfinished business. What's left to change?

Rob,

On the agenda it states : Approve minutes from December 10, 2010 BOD meeting. I am the only board member that is a carry over to the new board. One member is runnning again so there could be two of us on the next board. How can a board approve the minutes from the December meeting if they weren't there ?

Rob,

On the agenda it states : Approve minutes from December 10, 2010 BOD meeting. I am the only board member that is a carry over to the new board. One member is runnning again so there could be two of us on the next board. How can a board approve the minutes from the December meeting if they weren't there ?

By voting "Aye". They are members, and can and should vote on motions.

But, better yet, if the minutes are approved by unanimous consent as is typical, they can approve by not offering any corrections, unless of course, they know of any.

This realization is not supported by anything in RONR. Is this practice in your organization's rules?

The agenda is not binding until it is approved by the board by majority vote. When the agenda is pending it may be amended by majority vote. The President does not have any special powers with regard to the agenda.

Thanks for your help. So at the beginning of every board meeting someone should make a motion to approve the agenda? If no one does then should the president ask for a motion to approve or is just considered approved by unanimous consent because no one objects?

I ask because it has never been brought up at a meeting in the past. The "pending" agenda is emailed to board members and told "Please submit your request or suggestions per the attached agenda by such & such date.

Is this sufficient? Does it violate any rules?

How can a board approve the minutes from the December meeting if they weren't there ?

The same way as usual. The chair asks if there are any corrections, which require unanimous consent or a majority vote. After any corrections have been handled, the chair declares the minutes approved.

Of course, as you suggest, it is difficult to know if the minutes are accurate when most of the board's members have moved on. For this reason, the board should have appointed a committee with the authority to approve the minutes at the last meeting. If you follow this advice in the future you won't have this problem again.

So at the beginning of every board meeting someone should make a motion to approve the agenda? If no one does then should the president ask for a motion to approve or is just considered approved by unanimous consent because no one objects?

Most assemblies have no need for an agenda at all and will do quite nicely with the standard order of business in RONR. If the assembly makes a habit of adopting an agenda for each meeting, however, I believe it would be appropriate for the chair to assume a motion to do so. The procedure of unanimous consent seems appropriate as well.

The agenda created through the matter you describe is only a suggestion, and it is not binding upon the assembly until it is approved.

Thanks for your help. So at the beginning of every board meeting someone should make a motion to approve the agenda? If no one does then should the president ask for a motion to approve or is just considered approved by unanimous consent because no one objects?

I ask because it has never been brought up at a meeting in the past. The "pending" agenda is emailed to board members and told "Please submit your request or suggestions per the attached agenda by such & such date.

If no one moves to adopt the agenda, then it's just a suggestion and not binding. It's not mandatory to approve it.

It can be adopted by unanimous consent, but not silently. Someone would have to request unanimous consent, or the chair could assume the request, but would have to state the question, check for any objections, and announce the result.

The agenda is not "pending" in the parliamentary sense until after it is moved at the meeting.

What if the new board or President doesn't want to follow this agenda?

That's fine.

Unadopted adgendas are acceptable.

The draft "memorandum" need not be officially adopted. -- It can be merely an informal guideline, or a memory-flogger, and nothing more.

What is the proper way to change it to their liking?

Add stuff at the top of the meeting.

Subtract stuff at the top of the meeting.

That is how to alter a pre-printed agenda.

Just don't accept it, as stone tablets from Moses.

Agendas are just reminders. -- They are strings tied around one's finger.

Agendas are not divine commands from Jehovah, to be obeyed instantly and automatically, without thinking.

Archived