The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Co-opting members on to committee

Guest JCB

In the case of a committee where several members resign, can the remaining officers co-opt new committee members? Can one of the co-opted members hold an office?

Appoint, add to the committee without going to general assembly

The officers may only appoint new members if they are authorized to do so by some rule or motion adopted by the parent assembly. If the officers do have the authority to do this, the new members would have all the same rights as any other committee member.

The officers may only appoint new members if they are authorized to do so by some rule or motion adopted by the parent assembly. If the officers do have the authority to do this, the new members would have all the same rights as any other committee member.

There is an important distinction to be made. If the committee is meeting and wishes to open its meetings to others, they are free to do so and could allow them to speak before the committee on pending matters. However, they could not extend the right to vote on committee issues.

The committee (or any of the committee members individually) could request that the appointing authority (the organization chairman or the assembly, whichever applies) appoint the "co-opted members" to the committee. Only when that occurs would they be members with the rights of membership.

-Bob

In the case of a committee where several members resign, can the remaining officers co-opt new committee members? Can one of the co-opted members hold an office?

Generally speaking, no.

The body that initially appointed the committee members is responsible for appointing any replacements.

I forgot to mention an important piece of information: this co-opting of members would only be a temporary measure to fill the vacancies for 2 months until the Annual General Meeting. So to re=phrase my question: In the case of resignation by several committee members, can the president of a committee co-opt members on to his/her committee to meet the requirements of the committee as a temporary measure until the AGM when the whole committee would be re-elected?

I forgot to mention an important piece of information: this co-opting of members would only be a temporary measure to fill the vacancies for 2 months until the Annual General Meeting. So to re=phrase my question: In the case of resignation by several committee members, can the president of a committee co-opt members on to his/her committee to meet the requirements of the committee as a temporary measure until the AGM when the whole committee would be re-elected?

Well, not to rephrase my answer: No. Not unless the bylaws authorize it explicitly.

So, as it turns out, that's not a very important piece of information.

Archived