The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Write-Ins

Guest Kelly

I was told you have to call each write-in and get permission to keep them on the ballot and then do a new ballot with their names on it and have everyone vote again. If we have ten different write-ins and we only need one person, how do you choose without taking a re-vote?

Kelly, just count them. What problem do you see?

I was told you have to call each write-in and get permission to keep them on the ballot and then do a new ballot with their names on it and have everyone vote again. If we have ten different write-ins and we only need one person, how do you choose without taking a re-vote?

There is no rule that says anything of the sort......just follow Gary's advice, count them.

No, you don't need to call anyone or get permission to do anything. You just count the votes (write-in or not) and see who gets a majority.

If you're only electing one officer, then voters can only vote for one name. If someone votes for two names, that's an invalid vote, unless you can somehow determine their intent. Did someone vote for ten names for the same office?

Or, did ten different people write in ten different names, or five different names, or all the same name, as a write-in vote? If so, just pretend that the name was already on the ballot and that they had put a check mark beside it.

If one name is selected on a majority of ballots, that person is elected. If not, vote again until someone is.

Archived