The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict of interest

rev ron

Do Robert's Rules of Order consider it 'a conflict of interest' for a church council president to also be chairperson of committees; i.e., Fiance & Budget, Nominating, etc.?

RONR says that the chairman should not be a member of the nominating committee...much less chairman.

However, if the chairman is a member of the council, then he/she would be eligible to serve on the committees and could, therefore, be chairman. I don't see that it's a conflict of interest but I do feel it's unwise. A better situation is to insert a statement in your bylaws that the chairman is an ex officio member of all committees except nominating and work with that arrangement.

-Bob

RONR says that the chairman should not be a member of the nominating committee...much less chairman.

At the risk of splitting hairs (or seeing zebras) . . .

The chairman (president) of the board (council) is not necessarily the president of the association (congregation) and RONR's admonition refers to the latter office.

And the committees are not necessarily committees of the council but might instead be committees of the congregation.

Do Robert's Rules of Order consider it 'a conflict of interest' for a church council president to also be chairperson of committees; i.e., Fiance & Budget, Nominating, etc.?

No.

Although The Book recommends that a president not sit on the nomination committee, The Book never goes so far as to say that it is a conflict of interest.

Certainly, The Book does not bar a president from sitting on any committee, even a nominating committee.

The Book draws no distinction for a "church". So adding the fact that the organization is a church is of no parliamentary consequence.

For that matter, just to cover other postings, adding the fact the the organization is _____:

• a nonprofit organization

• a for-profit organization

• a volunteer fire department

• a homeowners association

• a horse club

• a dog club

. . . does not change the rules of order in The Book. -- The parliamentary rules apply to any deliberative organization which has adopted The Book as its parliamentary authority.

Archived