The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Failing to make a quorum?

Pleased as I am to see membership here break the 1225 mark (actually 1226 as of today, so far), it seems questionable that 700 have never posted. Furthermore, a review of recent memberships over the last two days or so (noting the user names specifically) suggests some sort of spambot at work. I'm just wondering if there is any effect on the database worth considering, as regards purging some of the "deadwood." My two cents.

Goodness no. However, paczka-trmadolaa does cause me some doubt. And a quick Google on mikegalaxioner indicates he is a "joiner", much as paczka-trmadolaa, whose profile (or lack thereof) can be found (or not) at HomeBrewChatter.com and Investor's Iraq Forum as well as Hamster Central, among many others.

Thanks everyone for letting me know about the odd users that were showing up on the board. Based on their IP address these users were from Russia, Ukraine, Netherlands, etc etc etc. It looks like this started on January 4. I banned the offending members and implemented a control whereby all new members have to validate their email address before they can become members. Hopefully we have ended that little problem. Let me know if they creep back in or if anything else strange starts happening.

thanks!

Olivia

Thanks everyone for letting me know about the odd users that were showing up on the board. Based on their IP address these users were from Russia, Ukraine, Netherlands, etc etc etc. It looks like this started on January 4. I banned the offending members and implemented a control whereby all new members have to validate their email address before they can become members. Hopefully we have ended that little problem. Let me know if they creep back in or if anything else strange starts happening.

I just saw the first actual spam bot post I've seen on the new forum - from a guest, actually, which is interesting. Perhaps a brute force attack can manage to guess the correct captcha code on occasion.

I just saw the first actual spam bot post I've seen on the new forum - from a guest, actually, which is interesting. Perhaps a brute force attack can manage to guess the correct captcha code on occasion.

I'd be surprised at that, judging from some of the captchas I've seen, neither "word" being in fact a real word. But anything is possible. Member "alinidrads" did get validated and posted, but I (and maybe someone else) reported it and now it's gone, although he/she/it hasn't been dis-membered yet.

Spammers/Hackers are now able to break CAPTCHA. I know a lot of them are using very good OCR capabilities, but I gather there are other ways as well. Unfortunately, this forum and many others use CAPTCHA as their number one method of spam protection.

I am looking into our options.

I'd be surprised at that, judging from some of the captchas I've seen, neither "word" being in fact a real word. But anything is possible. Member "alinidrads" did get validated and posted, but I (and maybe someone else) reported it and now it's gone, although he/she/it hasn't been dis-membered yet.

Spammers/Hackers are now able to break CAPTCHA. I know a lot of them are using very good OCR capabilities, but I gather there are other ways as well. Unfortunately, this forum and many others use CAPTCHA as their number one method of spam protection.

I am looking into our options.

Well, we do have a good Neighborhood Watch program here, so that will be of some assistance. :D

Am I the only one with a wistful nostalgia for the three posts, every few months, offering discount Carborundum and a couple other minerals from China?

Apparently

Ah, the lost days of international comradeship among parliamentarians, and our building-materials suppliers worldwide.

They probably heard a rumor that we were planning on painting the clubhouse. Again.

Archived