The Official RONR Q & A Forums

hiring a board member as paying position

Guest Concerned

I work for non profit organization that is governed by an executive board with 12 members and one member at large.(alternate). They fired our executive director and made the member at large the interim director as a paid position. Is this a conflict of interest?

I work for non profit organization that is governed by an executive board with 12 members and one member at large.(alternate). They fired our executive director and made the member at large the interim director as a paid position. Is this a conflict of interest?

That is for you all to decide.

I work for non profit organization that is governed by an executive board with 12 members and one member at large.(alternate).

They fired our executive director and made the member at large the interim director as a paid position.

Is this a conflict of interest?

No.

The Book, where it mentions potential conflicts, does not describe any appointment done by a full body (here, your board) as being a "direct personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members of the organization".

Appointments ARE in common with the whole organization.

An individual might be in conflict. But a decision making body, acting on a vacancy, cannot be in such a conflict, since it is a necessary act or the organization, and cannot be deferred to a non-conflicted individual.

Archived