The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Combining Officer Positions

saxyman06

I have it on good authority that a member of my organization is going to be resigning from her officer position. Our Constitution states that once an Officer resignation is accepted, a re-election must be held a week after nominations are held. Many members of the society wish to see this position (Corresponding Secretary) combined with another (Recording Secretary) as we see little value in having both positions.

Our Constitution also states that all amendments to the Constitution must be submitted a week in advance of a vote (for weekly meetings).

Is it possible to move to suspend the rules and combine the two positions while the Constitution Committee works on a more permanent amendment to the Constitution?

My reasoning for asking is that the Officers are responsible for conducting a significant part of the business of the organization and without all of them accounted for the business of the organization may not continue uninhibited. I have read that rules in the Constitution may be suspended if they pertain to business, but I do not know if this is business during the meeting, or the general business of the Organization.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it possible to move to suspend the rules and combine the two positions while the Constitution Committee works on a more permanent amendment to the Constitution?

No because you would in effect be consolidating the positions without having amended the Constitution. However, unless a member is limited to one office at a time I don't see why you couldn't elect the person who is the Recording Secretary to be Corresponding Secretary as well. Then if you all wish when you adopt the Constitutional amendment you could include a proviso that whoever is currently serving as Recording/Corresponding Secretary would serve in this new office until the regular election for that office.

Archived