The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Public forum

Guest Capecodpaige

Is there any circumstance when a citizen at public forum can engage a publicly elected board(school committee ) in a conversation? Can I ask a question and receive an answer at public forum?

So far as RONR is concerned, members of "the public" have no rights at a meeting, and it is up to the board to decide whether you may speak. Public bodies frequently have customized rules on such matters, however, so I would advise checking into any rules of the school board and applicable laws in your state.

Is there any circumstance when a citizen at public forum can engage a publicly elected board(school committee ) in a conversation? Can I ask a question and receive an answer at public forum?

"... any circumstance ...?"

Like, during a meeting?

With permission, yes.

Without permission, no.

Like, before a meeting or after a meeting?

YES! No rule in Robert's Rules will stop you.

It will depend on the rules of the board and, possibly, on state law or code. Many public bodies have public comment sessions or hearings where the public can make comments or ask questions of the board. Call the board secretary's office and ask what their rules are.

Of course just because you ask a question doesn't mean you'll necessarily get an answer right then and there. The answer may be "we'll get back to you."

And depending on the question, you may have better luck just calling on the phone during business hours and asking who would have the information you need.

But something tells me it's the "public forum" aspect that's important to you for some reason. Yes?

Archived