The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-laws

Guest Doug Kersey

We had a meeting tonight and someone from the group made a motion to restrict unpaid members to the meetings....We have a by-law already that members must be paid up prior to attending meetings...I'm asking, Is it necessary to have such a motion and shouldn't the executive have the right to discuss the problem with the offending new members?

Doug

We had a meeting tonight and someone from the group made a motion to restrict unpaid members to the meetings....We have a by-law already that members must be paid up prior to attending meetings...I'm asking, Is it necessary to have such a motion and shouldn't the executive have the right to discuss the problem with the offending new members?

Doug

I take your post to state that the bylaws say something like, "Unpaid members may not attend meetings."

If that's the case, if an 'unpaid member' is attending a meeting, any member present could raise a point of order that the byalws are not being followed and the chairman is required to maek a ruling and enforce the bylaws."

My point - which differs from yor post - is that the chairman is obligated to enforce the bylaws, especially if demanded by a member via a point of order. He is not free to 'discuss' them and then take the action he feels is needed. The chairman cannot waive vules in your bylaws unless the bylaws themselves give him the righ tto do so.

-Bob

Archived