The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Timely Motions

Guest Gary Knight

My organization meets monthly for business. If a motion made about adding new staff is made to be brought up three months later, and on the the normal business meeting time that third month the motion is not acted upon, is it a motion still on the floor.

My example: our church is wanting to add staff. The original motion was for an interim staff to be in place for three months and then brought up for

vote three months later for permanent status. On the normal meeting time for the motion to be brought back up for discussion and vote

the motion was delayed by not bringing up by the chair.

The question: Is the original motion still on the floor? Can it be voted on by a quorum of members or does a new motion have to be entered to be

considered because the motion was not enacted upon when previously stated to be enacted upon?

Thanks,

Gary

My organization meets monthly for business. If a motion made about adding new staff is made to be brought up three months later, and on the the normal business meeting time that third month the motion is not acted upon, is it a motion still on the floor.

My example: our church is wanting to add staff. The original motion was for an interim staff to be in place for three months and then brought up for

vote three months later for permanent status. On the normal meeting time for the motion to be brought back up for discussion and vote

the motion was delayed by not bringing up by the chair.

The question: Is the original motion still on the floor? Can it be voted on by a quorum of members or does a new motion have to be entered to be

considered because the motion was not enacted upon when previously stated to be enacted upon?

The original motion was fully disposed of three months ago. The motion to hire the staff permanently is not pending, since it was never moved at the meeting when it should have been. Depending on a number of technical factors, not the least of which is the precise wording of the original motion, the motion might have been made a Special or General Order for the meeting just held. But if it wasn't dealt with, it wasn't dealt with, even if it should have been.

The best course of action now is to simply move the hiring motion at the next meeting. If the original motion specifically ordered that a motion to hire the staff permanently should definitely be taken up at the end off the trial period, then consider it under Unfinished Business and General Orders. If it was more like a suggestion of maybe deciding no sooner than three months or when you get around to it, then move it under New Business.

Archived