The Official RONR Q & A Forums

committees

Guest JIM

In my Organization the Commander appointed a committee to look at building a memorial. The Senior Vice chaired it and appointed its members. Due to a normal election the Commander who served his term was ineligable to be reelected. The Senior vice was elected commander and another member was elected Senior Vice. The new Senior vice added the original Commander to the committee and other members and dismissed some of other original committee members without the committee finishing it's work stating he disolving that committee. I was uder the impression that once a committee is established it cannot be abolished or added to unless by resignation or death. Does the new Senior vice have the right to do this?

In my Organization the Commander appointed a committee to look at building a memorial. The Senior Vice chaired it and appointed its members. Due to a normal election the Commander who served his term was ineligable to be reelected. The Senior vice was elected commander and another member was elected Senior Vice. The new Senior vice added the original Commander to the committee and other members and dismissed some of other original committee members without the committee finishing it's work stating he disolving that committee. I was uder the impression that once a committee is established it cannot be abolished or added to unless by resignation or death. Does the new Senior vice have the right to do this?

How did the Commander get the authority to appoint the committee? Was it granted by the members or do the bylaws grant that authority?

In my Organization the Commander appointed a committee to look at building a memorial.

This is not a rule from Robert's Rules of Order.

This must be your own rule.

Individuals do not appoint committees. An exception exists for a tellers committee, where the presiding officer can unilaterally appoint a tellers committee.

The Senior Vice chaired it and appointed its members.

Individuals do not appoint committees. An exception exists for a tellers committee, where the presiding officer can unilaterally appoint a tellers committee.

Due to a normal election the Commander who served his term was ineligable to be reelected.

The Senior vice was elected commander and another member was elected Senior Vice.

The new Senior vice added the original Commander to the committee and other members and dismissed some of other original committee members without the committee finishing it's work stating he dissolving that committee.

I was under the impression that

once a committee is established it cannot be abolished or added to unless by resignation or death.

False.

The appointing power is free to un-appoint.

Q. Do your own rules really allow so many different people to appoint committees, so spontaneously?

Archived