The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Withdraw Motion

Guest Karen C

In a recent board meeting, a member made a motion, it was seconded. Discussion ensued and then the member who made the motion wanted to withdraw it. I have located numerous sections on motions, however, I cannot locate any section that addresses this situation. What is the correct procedure to handle such a situation?

In a recent board meeting, a member made a motion, it was seconded. Discussion ensued and then the member who made the motion wanted to withdraw it. I have located numerous sections on motions, however, I cannot locate any section that addresses this situation. What is the correct procedure to handle such a situation?

Before a motion has been placed before the assembly, the mover can simply withdraw it, by saying "I withdraw the motion."

But in your situation where discussion has taken place, the motion no longer belongs to the mover, it belongs to the whole assembly. So he/she/you can withdraw it only with the permission of (a majority of) the assembly.

If you wish to withdraw a motion, you can move a Request--in this case as "Request for Leave to Withdraw a Motion".

The mover would simply say "I request leave [or "ask unanimous consent"] to withdraw the motion." It requires a second, and a majority vote for leave to be granted. If it passes, the chair announces "The ayes have it, and the motion is withdrawn."

If it was framed as a unanimous consent request, the chair can simply inquire "is there objection?" and if none is heard, declare the motion withdrawn.

Withdrawn motions typically do not appear on the minutes.

Archived