The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Associate vs Affiliated Organization; Need definitions

Guest PH

Our group has an argument going about the definition of an

associate vs. affiliate organization.

Can you give us a clear definition of the two or are they really two words meaning the same type of organization?

The word "Affiliate" never appears within RONR (10th ed. 2000).

I see "association" and "associate" and "associated" appear within RONR.

So, the question of whether one word is a match for the other word is not to be resolved using RONR alone.

Since both terms are not parliamentary terms, (RONR never uses the term in a technical way, but in a common usage way) then your next recourse is to a dictionary. Or a thesaurus.

I am betting you might be referring to a customized document, like someone's bylaws.

If so, then you are really on your own, i.e., you and Mr. Noah Webster, of course. :)

Our group has an argument going about the definition of an associate vs affiliate organization. Can you give us a clear definition of the two

No. I've affiliated with my associates, and I've also associated with my affiliates.

or are they really two words meaning the same type of organization? Thanks

From a parliamentary perspective, there is no important difference. If either were to have any bearing on your rules, it would have to be defined in your governing documents.

For an argument to be going on this subject, it must be unsubstantiated on all sides. You should ask those doing the arguing to show you a written rule that supports their claims.

An interesting point is that "affiliate" does not have an adjective form, while "associate" does.

Archived