The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When does immediate past presidents term end?

Guest Billie

Our organization keeps the immediate past president on the executive board. But the immediate president has been reelected twice. Does this mean the immediate president is now the immediate past president?

If you're asking if the current president is the (immediate) past president, I think the answer is no. The immediate past president is the immediate past president.

If Barack Obama is re-elected in 2012, George W. Bush will remain the immediate past president. If not, Obama will become the immediate past president.

Our organization keeps the immediate past president on the executive board.

But the immediate president has been reelected twice.

Does this mean the immediate president is now the immediate past president?

Unknown.

The term never appears within RONR (10th ed. 2000).

(Namely, "immediate past _____", nor "past [officer]")

So, The Book, alone, will not answer your question.

Even worse:

I could cite a non-Robertian source which will give you an answer quite opposite of what a dictionary would suggest.

Our organization keeps the immediate past president on the executive board. But the immediate president has been reelected twice. Does this mean the immediate president is now the immediate past president? Thanks

The simple dictionary definitions of the term suggest that the person who served immediately prior to the current President is the Immediate Past President, but whether this is true for your organization is a question of Bylaws interpretation. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 570-573 for some Principles of Interpretation. Perhaps it's also time to rethink whether it's a good idea to give any automatic positions to the Immediate Past President.

Our organization keeps the immediate past president on the executive board. But the immediate president has been reelected twice. Does this mean the immediate president is now the immediate past president? Thanks

No.

The amusing lyrics to I'm My Own Grandpaw notwithstanding, the president cannot be his own predecessor.

Since it can only be your bylaws which authorize the Immediate Past President to sit on the board, check there to see if the term is fixed for a certain time only. If not, that might be a good idea for a bylaws amendment. Maybe you'll get lucky and discover that the IPP isn't even listed in the bylaws, and then your troubles are over. (Or just beginning.) :)

Archived