The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Sensure of board member

fapel

If the board does not have the authority to remove a member who has performed an illegal act, can that member be censured with a loss of his voting rights?

There's a big difference between censuring a member (which is just a slap on the wrist) and removing his right to vote (which is a pretty big deal).

It's unlikely that your board has the authority to do either one, but check your bylaws.

The ultimate authority in your organization almost certainly rests with the general membership, not your board.

There's a big difference between censuring a member (which is just a slap on the wrist) and removing his right to vote (which is a pretty big deal).

It's unlikely that your board has the authority to do either one, but check your bylaws.

I see no reason the board could not adopt a motion to censure, as this merely expresses the opinion of the board. I certainly agree that it is unlikely the board has the authority to strip the member of his voting rights, especially since it has already been established that the board does not have the authority to remove the member.

I see no reason the board could not adopt a motion to censure, as this merely expresses the opinion of the board.

Yes, I suppose you're right, though I think a case could be made that the board would be exceeding its mandate by doing so. I'm reminded of those municipal boards that adopt a resolution condemning the war in Iraq (or some such issue that falls outside their purview). In any event, the only recourse is to elect new board members who will stick to their knitting.

Archived