The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Access to Board Minutes

Guest JD

Does any member of the group have the right to obtain a copy of minutes of board meetings? Not the general meeting minutes, but the minutes of boards.

No, an individual member of the society has no such right, but, see RONR (10th ed.), p. 470, ll. 3-10, for the procedure by which the board's minutes can be ordered to be read in the meeting of the general membership assembly.

Does any member of the group have the right to obtain a copy of minutes of board meetings? Not the general meeting minutes, but the minutes of boards.

No. In fact even Board members have no right under RONR to review Board minutes. They however have a right to inspect the minutes (RONR p. 444).

No, an individual member of the society has no such right, but, see RONR (10th ed.), p. 470, ll. 3-10, for the procedure by which the board's minutes can be ordered to be read in the meeting of the general membership assembly.

If the assembly votes to be given the minutes, can they do this and if so, does a simple majority work or is a 2/3 vote required ?

Thanks !

If the assembly votes to be given the minutes, can they do this and if so, does a simple majority work or is a 2/3 vote required ?

Thanks !

No. In fact even Board members have no right under RONR to review Board minutes. They however have a right to inspect the minutes (RONR p. 444).

I believe you mean that board members have no right to a copy of the minutes, unless there's a parliamentary distinction between "review" and "inspect" I'm not aware of.

They cannot vote to be given the minutes.

Well, they certainly could, although we could debate over what would be required. I'd think a special rule of order would certainly do the trick. It's unclear whether anything less would suffice.

Well, they certainly could [vote to get a copy of the minutes], although we could debate over what would be required. I'd think a special rule of order would certainly do the trick. It's unclear whether anything less would suffice.

Okay, pretend I had an asterisked disclaimer "according to the rules in RONR."

I suppose with sufficient special rules they could have the minutes printed on purple paper and stapled to the chicken coop door.:)

If the organization votes to get the minutes from boards, are they allow to get them? If so, is it a simple majority or 2/3 ?

The organization may order the minutes to be read at a meeting by a 2/3 vote, vote of a majority of the entire membership, or majority vote with previous notice. If you're adamant about actually receiving copies of the minutes, this would take a special rule of order, which requires a 2/3 vote with previous notice or a vote of a majority of the entire membership.

The organization may order the minutes to be read at a meeting by a 2/3 vote, vote of a majority of the entire membership, or majority vote with previous notice. If you're adamant about actually receiving copies of the minutes, this would take a special rule of order, which requires a 2/3 vote with previous notice or a vote of a majority of the entire membership.

Well, the rule on p. 470 is a suspendable rule of order with respect to the reading of the minutes. I see no reason why the rule could not be suspended to order the distribution of printed copies to the general membership, instead.

Archived